Rising from the center of the house is a 50' tall enclosed spiral stairwell leading up to the service room, the watch room and the lantern room. Sea temp depth: 1 m below MLLW, Meteorological Observations from Nearby Stations and Ships. Anemometer height: 43.9 m above site elevation National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Combined plot of Wind Speed, Gust, and Air Pressure. Arratoon Apcar was one of these ships, and it too is now part of the Biscayne National Park Maritime Heritage Trail. Located seven miles southeast of Cape Florida on Key Biscayne. Station FWYF1 - Fowey Rock, FL . 25.591 N 80.097 W (25°35'26" N 80°5'48" W) It was built in 1878 and named after the HMS Fowey, a Royal Navy frigate that was crushed on the reef in 1748. for the data history of each station. The lighthouse was completed in 1878, replacing the Cape Florida Light.  One early assistant keeper of the lighthouse, Jefferson B. Browne, later became Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court.. Fowey Rocks Light is located seven miles southeast of Cape Florida on Key Biscayne. C-MAN Station Though now part of Biscayne National Park, the light itself is still maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard as the "Eye of Miami. The structure is cast iron, with a screw-pile foundation, a platform and a skeletal tower. It was lit for the first time in the summer of 1878. The structure is cast iron, with a screw-pile foundation, a platform and a skeletal tower. Fowey Rocks located in present day Biscayne National Park has a long history of sunken ships and lighthouse keepers who struggled to … Severe weather hampered the construction of the light for many months. Due to the location of the lighthouse within the park, the National Park Service exercised its option under the NHLPA to request a direct … Fowey Rocks Lighthouse - Fowey Light was built 6 miles off the shore of Key Biscayne since Cape Florida lighthouse was built 3 miles back from a dangerous rock ledge if a ship was to make it past the Fowey Rocks. The light has a nominal range of 15 miles in the white sectors, and 10 miles in the red sectors.  The original Fresnel lens has been replaced by a modern solar-powered light. Due to the aforementioned weather delays, this part of the process took over a year. The most time-consuming part of the construction was building the foundation and lower decks. In her book Lighthouses of the Florida Keys, author Love Dean quotes the Light House Board as describing the Fowey Rocks Lighthouse as standing "in lonely grandeur with waves gently lapping at its base in the clear bright light of the subtropical day, with nothing in sight except a few vessels...", That is lovely prose, but in reality Fowey Rocks Lighthouse is within sight of both the park's northern islands and Cape Florida. Constructed: 1875-1878. That year, it formed the centerpiece of the Light House Board's display at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, before being transported to Florida for installation at Fowey Rocks. The lighthouse was completed in 1878, replacing the Cape Florida Light. Location: 25º 35.473N, 80º 5.805W Storm Special! Materials were initially delivered to Soldier Key, then ferried out to the site as needed. Height above Water: 130 feet. 33033. Heriberto Irizarry. The original first-order Fresnel lens was built in Paris and shipped to the United States in 1876. The light is 110 feet above the water. Fowey Rocks are named for the Royal Navy frigate HMS Fowey which was wrecked on a different reef to the south in 1748. Owned and maintained by National Data Buoy Center C-MAN Station MARS payload 25.591 N 80.097 W (25°35'26" N 80°5'48" W) Site elevation: 0 m above mean sea level Air temp height: 11 m above site elevation Anemometer height: 43.9 m above site elevation The original lens was a first-order drum Fresnel lens which stood about 12 feet (4 m) high and weighed about a ton (tonne).  During construction of the lighthouse the workers lived on a platform built over the water to minimize the danger of transporting them and their supplies each day from the mainland. The lighthouse was completed in 1878, replacing the Cape Florida Light. Fowey Rocks Light is located seven miles southeast of Cape Florida on Key Biscayne. The original Fresnel lens is now on display at the U.S. Coast Guard's National Aids to Navigation Training Center in Yorktown, Virginia, and it has been replaced with a modern solar-powered light visible some 17 miles out to sea. also provide valuable station information. MARS payload The Fowey Rocks Lighthouse — the "Eye of Miami." Barometer elevation: 29.3 m above mean sea level Links which are specific to this station are listed below: Real Time Data in tabular form for the last forty-five days. The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 washed away the first deck of the lighthouse, 15 feet above the water, but the tower survived. First Lit: 1878. Today the wreck is an excellent scuba diving site. The lighthouse was completed in 1878, replacing the Cape Florida Light. Note that the payload types and the station locations occasionally change. Air temp height: 11 m above site elevation , It is the last of the original Florida Keys offshore manned reef lights in operation, all others having been decommissioned by 2015. Homestead, FL The 1500 ton steamship came to rest just 200 yards (180 m) from the workmen's platform. In June 2011, the General Services Administration made the Fowey Rocks Light (along with 11 others) available at no cost to public organizations willing to preserve them. The tower framework is painted brown, while the dwelling and enclosed circular stair to the lantern is painted white.  On October 2, 2012, the National Park Service accepted ownership of the light. The Coast Guard History site, cited above, says she was a Spanish Galleon, but there is substantial documentation of her Royal Navy status. It was automated on May 7, 1975 and is still in operation today. Site elevation: 0 m above mean sea level The Cape Florida light at the southern tip of Key Biscayne was built in 1825. The weekly status report and the weekly maintenance report The tower is capped with a copper roof and ventilator ball. The Fowey Rocks Lighthouse is the northernmost offshore lighthouse built in the 19th century to mark the shallow reef line of the Florida Keys. The light was ultimately extinguished in 1878, when it was replaced by the more powerful beacon of the Fowey Rocks Lighthouse. It was painted white with green shutters. Fowey Rocks was the last lighthouse on the Florida reefs to be automated. Please refer to the NDBC data inventory Ships did not need to be warned of the island, but rather of the knife-edged reef that lay 5 miles offshore. Efforts to save the boat failed, and she was pounded apart on the rocks and sank. While construction was under way, on 17 February 1878 the Arratoon Apcar ran aground on the reef. The original lens was a first-order drum Fresnel lens Click on the graph icon in the table below to see a time series plot of the last five days of that observation. Owned and maintained by National Data Buoy Center  It was automated on May 7, 1975 and is still in operation today. Construction on Fowey Lighthouse began in 1875 and the old lighthouse reservation on Soldier Key was used as a supply depot and barracks. Iron-pile lighthouses further south in the Keys had been quite successful at marking the reef, so the Light House Board contracted to have one built at Fowey Rocks, southeast of Cape Florida. Construction began in 1875 when a staging platform was built at the site. The light is 110 feet above the water. The tower framework is painted brown, while the dwelling and enclosed circular stair to the lantern is painted white. Historical Data & Climatic Summaries for quality controlled data for the current month, previous months, and previous years. Once the base was constructed, the remainder of the structure went up fairly quickly, with parts having been pre-fabricated in Delaware. Fifty years later, the light served little purpose and was extinguished.